Gardeners and Nature lovers already appreciate the botanical wonders around us, but plants are more than floral beauties. We owe the air we breathe to them, all of our food, and most of our medicine, chemicals and housing. Animals from elephants to ants depend on plant-life. And the world's flora has an equally intimate relationship with the birds, insects, mammals and humans around them.
Explore these relationships and find the latest botany discoveries through the links below.
Or check out the categories in the menu.
- Plant-Microbial Fuel Cell: Electricity From Marshes
- "An unexpected source of new, clean energy has been found: the Plant-Microbial Fuel Cell that can generate electricity from the natural interaction between living plant roots and soil bacteria."
- The New Mushroom House: Be Your Own Garden Gnome
- "Mycologist Philip Ross is seriously into mushrooms, but not as a food -- instead, he uses fungi as a building material."
- Ants as "Bouncers" Keep Poor Pollinators Out
- "Most flowers don't want pesky ants hanging around scaring away would-be pollinators. Not so the Singapore rhododendron - the first flower found to recruit ants to chase poor pollinators away."
Copyright © 2010 Rob Halpern. All rights reserved.