Plants & Animals
- Flowers That Call To Birds For Pollination
- "The study has shown for the first time how certain Australian native flowers are attracting the birds rather than the bees. Essentially, newly evolved spectral signatures entice birds with the hues of red they are especially good at discriminating"
- Prehistoric Monster Bird Was Really Nutter
- "A preliminary study of dietary clues preserved in the bones of a German specimen of the bird suggested a menu of plants rather than flesh. "
- Insect's Tobacco Breath Repels Predators
- "Thus, chemical defenses, too toxic to sequester, can be repurposed for defensive functions through respiration as a form of defensive halitosis, and predators can assist the functional elucidation of herbivore genes"
- Are You As Smart As A Chimpanzee?
- "As you will see in this post, there is no single anatomical recipe for creating the colorful, fleshy and/or juicy reward for a seed-dispersing herbivore, mortal or otherwise. Many of the myriad flower, fruit and seed structures are variously promoted to the role of what is colloquially thought of as “fruit.”"
- Jumbo-gardeners: How elephants affect weather
- "How elephants are the most important player when it comes to the diversity of tree species in the rainforest. "
Copyright © 2010 Rob Halpern. All rights reserved.