Plants & Animals
- Overhunting Seed Dispersers Is Decimating Forests
- "Hunting and poaching has decimated many mammal and bird populations across the tropics, and according to two new studies the loss of these important seed-disperser are imperiling the very nature of rainforests."
- Fig Wasps As Keystone Species, Vulnerable To Global Warming
- "From the wings of tiny creatures hang the fates of hundreds of bird and mammal species, and perhaps even entire rainforests. They are fig wasps and they play a disproportionate role in the grand drama of life on Earth. They shape our own story too because of this. But new research warns that these insects could be “extremely vulnerable” to global warming."
- He's Not Really Right For You: Mutualism Fails The Test
- "Insect-Eating Bat Outperforms Nectar Specialist as Pollinator of Cactus Flowers"
- Male Wasps Would Rather Do It With An Orchid
- "In an extreme case of sex fakery, an orchid produces oddball chemicals that mimic a female wasp's allure so well that males prefer the floral scents to the real thing, scientists say."
- How To Charm A Bee: Have Her Over For Coffee
- "Scientists have found that some plants, like the coffee plant (Coffea), use caffeine to manipulate the memory of bees. The nectar in their flowers holds low levels of caffeine that pollinators find highly rewarding."
Copyright © 2010 Rob Halpern. All rights reserved.