Plants & Animals
- Coevolution Insufficient to Explain All Nature's Connections
- "The study provides an interesting and novel story about early mammal evolution, diet, and paleoecology. More importantly, it provides a good example of how simple narratives don't always explain nature's messiness. "
- Bats Using Leaves To Play Telephone
- "Bats that nest inside curled-up leaves may be getting an extra benefit from their homes: the tubular roosts act as acoustic horns, amplifying the social calls that the mammals use to keep their close-knit family groups together."
- Disguised As Flower, Mantis Catch More Prey
- "Their bright floral colours and petal shaped legs create a tantalizing lure for insects. So it seems that orchid mantises not only look like flowers but also beat flowers at their own game."
- Koalas Use Trees As Air Conditioners
- "Thermal imaging has revealed koalas cope with extreme heat by resting against cooler tree trunks."
- Bird Pollinator From 47million Years Ago Found
- "Scientists have described the oldest known fossil of a pollinating bird. The well-preserved stomach contents contained pollen from various flowering plants. This indicates that the relationship between birds and flowers dates back at least 47 million years."
Copyright © 2010 Rob Halpern. All rights reserved.